Bibb Mount Zion Baptist Church
We come from a spiritual people. As slaves who had no control over their lives, our ancestors had to release their anger and frustration in ways that would not damage their souls. They prayed silently as they worked the fields. They sang their songs of freedom and of the by-and-by of a world that would give them peace.
In 1862 in Middle Georgia, a courageous group of men and women decided that it was time to start a church and they named it Mount Zion Church. So about a half-dozen or more of them obtained property on which they could call their church home. About 20 years later they were ready to build a church home. They acquired property in Bibb County from a white man named A. Moffitt. They paid $1 for the deed. The transaction took place on March 10, 1884, and became a part of the Bibb County records on March 24,1884. Moffitt put restrictions in the deed, limiting the way these new men and women of property would use their newly obtained land. He wanted the land used for worship only, perhaps fearful that they would meet to plot rebellion against those who had enslaved them.
Our rich history includes past Pastors such as Rev. Flemings, Rev. Dan Thomas,
Rev. Ruffin Williams, Rev. E. D. Cummings, Rev. E. L. Bivins, Rev. W.W. Weaver and
Rev. J. A. Holston. On June 19, 1985, during church conference, the congregation "by a unanimous vote" decided that the official name of Mount Zion Church as shown on the official records of the Clerk's Office of Bibb Superior Court be changed to the Bibb Mount Zion Baptist Church. The congregation retired Rev. Holston in March 1987 because offailing health. He was voted Pastor Emeritus.
On May 1, 1988, Bibb Mount Zion Baptist Church chose Rev. Christopher Tard as Pastor. Rev. Tard served faithfully for several years. On May 24, 1997, the church, by a majority vote, extended a call to Rev. Teddy Parker, Jr. to become Pastor of Bibb Mount Zion Baptist Church. On July 1, 1997, Rev. Teddy Parker Jr. became Pastor of Bibb Mount Zion Baptist Church. He was installed on July 20, 1997, with the Rev. Dr. Willie L. Reid Sr., Pastor of Fellowship Bible Baptist Church, presiding. Within the first few months that Rev. Parker led us, our church flourished and members reaped
the benefits of a new church van, church sign, nursery, youth programs, children's church, new carpet and pews.
On April 28, 1999, during conference, the church voted to proceed with the process of having our Family Life Center built. The Life Center will be 13,495 square feet. Sunday, June 27, 1999, the church held "Ground Breaking Services" at 3 pm to kick off the new construction of our Family Life Center. Rev. Curtis Hardnett and the Greater Emmanuel Baptist Church were our guests for this occasion. Sunday, March 19, 2000, we held our Family Life Center Dedication Program. Dr. Walter L. Glover was the speaker. We celebrated with a big cook out and had games and activities for the entire church family. We are very proud of our new Life Center and celebrated in grand style with a ribbon cutting and balloons. On April 13, 2000 we held an "Open House" for the new Family Life Center.
In May of 2000, the Sunday School, Children's Church and the Nursery were all reorganized. We also had our first edition of the "BMZ Informer" which is our church's newsletter. This year we will celebrate our church's 150th anniversary. Our church has truly been blessed by God and it is our prayer that we will continue to fellowship and support our Pastor and each other in a manner pleasing to God!